The prize on offer | (Credit: Emily Mogic/TWG)
The W-League fixtures for the 2013/14 season have been released.
The sixth season of Australia's top flight league commences on 9 November 2013 with the Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory and Brisbane Roar v Canberra United the opening matches.
The traditional grand final replay between defending Champions Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory will be played on 10 November.
The league will once again see eight teams from across Australia take part in a 12 round competition with a, 2 week finals played over three months this Australian summer.
[More: Musical Chairs: W-League Edition]
“Over the past five Westfield W-League seasons we have seen the competition grow from strength to strength showcasing the best female footballers from Australia and also featuring players from 14 other countries around the world so far,” said Head of the W-League Damien De Bohun.
“This trend is set to continue and we are genuinely excited about the calibre of players and standard of football on offer for this coming season."
- The W-League starts two weeks later than its traditional late October start due to the Young Matildas (U20s) World Cup qualification campaign at the AFC U19 Championships
- For the first time there will be a mid-season break over the Christmas/New Year period
- Key players will be missing for most sides early in the season when the Matildas host China in an international friendly series in November
- Despite early indications, the season has remained with only the 12 rounds
- Sydney FC will break to participate in the Mobcast Cup in Japan including against European Champions Wolfsburg
- Sydney FC are looking to make history and become the first team to defend the championship