For the Wanderers, this derby was always being played for pride after their chances at finals contention came to an end last round, but for Sydney, the all-important three points would send them into the top four.

It was a derby that could have gone either way, with both sides missing key players in the likes of Caitlin Cooper and Talitha Cramer for the Wanderers and Lisa De Vanna, Danny Colaprico and Amy Sayer for Sydney.

As fans have become accustomed to seeing this season, the “Wander Women” had a strong start to the match but were unable to maintain that same form for the duration of the game.

Playing with nothing to lose, the first fifteen minutes saw Dan Barrett’s side pressing well throughout the early stages of the game.

It was Servet Uzunlar opening the threat, with an almost goal in the 12th minute, followed up by a Lo’eau LaBonta strike in the 14th minute, rattling Sydney’s defence with the possibility of having their finals plans derailed.

It was heartbreak for Sydney in the 15th minute when 17-year-old Taylor Ray went down with a suspected serious knee injury.

Chances remained relatively even with neither side able to convert until five minutes before half-time when US import Sofia Huerta scored a cracker of a goal, cruising through the Wanderers defence to beat Nicole Simonsen at the near post.

The Sydney side almost made it two before half time, but a miscommunication on who was taking the shot let the ball go begging, rolling past the bottom corner of the net and a visibly irked Logarzo and McCaskill.

By the end of half time, possession was weighted 57 percent to 43 percent to Sydney, with the Wanderers taking three corners to Sydney's two, while WSW conceded 10 fouls to Sydney's five and both had equal shots on target at three a piece.

It was another huge blow for Ante Juric’s side losing superstar McCaskill to injury just 17 minutes into the second half after a heavy challenge by Maruschka Waldus.

Caitlin Foord stepped up as the hero of the injury-depleted sky blues, scoring in the 65th minute before converting an 80th minute penalty when Caitlin Jarvie was handed a straight red just six minutes after stepping foot onto the pitch.

Youngster Shadeene Evans also made her W-League debut, coming on for Princess Ibini in the 82nd minute and playing a part in her teams undefeated streak which now sits at nine games.

This derby was groundhog day for the Wanderers, who were handed the same fate at Leichhard Oval during round one’s derby, also losing 3-0.

The Wanderers side stays planted at the foot of the ladder after a winless season thus far, while Sydney now aims to keep their spot in the top four.

Sydney FC coach Ante Juric said of his teams performance.

“Considering we had so many young players and had to change a few things around, we didn’t play too badly, so I’m happy, but three points is what I’m most happy about!”

“We’re in a position where we had to win and I told the girls that, so to play under pressure like that and still get the win, is a positive, so we did well today in this context.”

In relation to now being in the top four, Juric said the goal is to keep climbing and take each game as it comes.

“We don’t want to hold on to third or fourth place, we want to aim for second, first and keep looking up. It is a cliché but we focus on one game at a time.”

Round 11 continues tomorrow with Melbourne City taking on Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park at 5.20pm AEST and if you can’t make it to AAMI Park you can catch all the action on the MyFootball App.