Canberra spearhead Michelle Heyman; one of the stars | (Credit: Getty Images)
The 2012/13 Season of the Westfield W-League was officially launched yesterday with at an exclusive event on Sydney’s Jones Bay Wharf.
The new season is set to be the biggest yet with one more team (Western Sydney Wanderers FC), two more rounds (12) and 13 more games to be played out over Australian summer.
As well as local and Matildas stars, the W-League also sees an influx of internationals from England, Canada, the United States, New Zealand, Sweden and even Iceland.
“The Westfield W-League is one of, if not, the world’s premier women’s football competition and this season is set to the best one yet,” said Head of W-League Damien De Bohun.
“For me, the beauty of this league is that it creates new heroes each season. It is also the breeding ground for the Westfield Matildas – one of Australia’s most successful sporting teams.
“With the Westfield Matildas ranked 9th in the world, Champions of Asia, and with every player from the Westfield Matildas squad playing in the Westfield W-League this year, there has never been a better opportunity for Australians to witness world class football in their own backyard.
Round One kicks off this Saturday October 20th with the, now traditional, grand final re-match between the last two winners of the league; Canberra United and Brisbane Roar at Canberra’s McKellar Park (kick-off 2.00pm) with the season ending with the Grand Final on the Australia Day weekend - Sunday, 27th January.
Other key dates and features of the Westfield W-League 2012/13 season to watch out for include (all times indicated below are stated as local times):
- A new, viewer and family-friendly one-hour Match of the Day highlights package broadcast nationally each Saturday by the Westfield W-League’s broadcast partner, The ABC.
- Family-friendly AM fixtures including first AM match of the season to be played at Intiga Stadium, Inglewood in Perth (Perth Glory vs. Melbourne Victory – 21st October @1030am)
- First inter-city derby in Westfield W-League history with Sydney FC taking on Western Sydney Wanderers FC at Leichardt Oval (27th October @200pm)
- First Newcastle Jets home match against defending champions Canberra United at the Hunter’s Westfield W-League home, Wanderers Oval in Broadmeadow (27th October @200pm)
- The historic first Western Sydney Wanderers FC home match at Campbelltown Stadium against Perth Glory (3rd November @ 200pm)
- 2012 defeated Grand Finalists’, Brisbane Roar, first home match at Cleveland Showgrounds (3rd November @ 300pm)
- Sydney FC to play Perth Glory as the curtain raiser to Sydney FC’s first Hyundai A-League inter-city home derby at Allianz Stadium (15/12 @ 500pm)
TheWomensGame team will have full coverage of the Westfield W-League for Season Five including interviews, videos, photos and giveaways.