Round 4 saw Brisbane Roar continue their hot start to the season while Sydney FC claimed their first win with a spirited performance.  Canberra United made it two wins in a row as Perth Glory bounced back at home.

Brisbane Roar 1 – 0 Adelaide United

Hayley Raso was back in the starting line up for the Brisbane Roar and the forward immediately made an impact on her return as her 86th minute winner proved the difference.

Brisbane started the match confidently placing Adelaide on the back foot with a series of corners.  However the Reds defence were able to clear.

13 minutes in Adelaide had their first look at the Roar goal when Chidiac found Makenzy Doniak in space but the striker's effort went wide of Mackenzie Arnold's goal.

Brisbane remained in control of the first half with Katrina Gorry, Tameka Butt and Cheung all busy with no effect on the scoreboard.

The second half was much of the same with the Roar on top.  A 1-2 between Gorry and Amy Chapman ended in Gorry's shot rolling just wide of the goal thanks to Emma Checker's last-ditch defensive attempt.

Butt was next to combine with Chapman with her cross falling to the forward who saw her effort hit the side netting.

Roar went close to the opener in the 73rd minute when defender Kaitlin Torpey unleashed from distance with her strike rattling the cross bar.

Brisbane eventually got a return for their efforts when Allira Toby's cross found Raso with the Matilda's shot deflecting pass Eliza Campbell.  It was enough for the Roar to claim their third win of the season.

Sydney FC 3 – 2 Melbourne City

The winless Sydney started this encounter well but it was Melbourne City who fashioned the first real chance on goal.

14 minutes in Ashley Hatch ran in on a tight angle and forced an acrobatic save from Sham Khamis, tipping around the corner.

Steph Catley the set Larissa Crummer loose down the left with the recalled Matildas forward crossing to find Kyah Simon.  Simon missed the volley but Hatch followed up with Lizzie Ralston there to block the shot.

On the half hour Sydney FC created their best opening when Princess Ibini linked up in a one-two with Ledbrook through the right.  The forward put the shot across the face of goal with Leena Khamis diving in at the far post.

Sydney gained control of the game and in a vintage move almost had the lead.  Ledbrook cut in to Amy Harrison who played a perfectly weighted lob over the City defence. Midfielder Chloe Logarzo met the lob with a right-foot volley but it goes just over the bar.

Sydney were made to pay for the misses when a corner was met by Alanna Kennedy at the back post.  Kennedy headed back across goal with Ralston unable to keep the header out.

Sydney weren't behind for long and on the shadows of half time Ledbrook took advantage of a shallow Melissa Hudson clearance to lob back over the goalkeeper's head for the equaliser.

The second half saw Melbourne City reclaim the lead with Rhali Dobson putting in a pin point cross to Crummer who volleyed sweetly home.

Sydney responded 10 minutes later when  a one-two-one-two between Logarzo and Sky Blue captain Teresa Polias ended in the latter letting loose for distance to find the top corner.  A stunning first goal in the W-League in her 10th season.

Sydney pushed for the winner and in additional time Sydney's youth brigade combined for the winner.  Substitute Julia Vignes produced a class reverse-pass pass to play Ibini through the left. Ibini found Remy Siemsen in the penalty area who wheeled onto her left foot to sweep the ball past Hudson into the bottom right corner.

Newcastle Jets 1 – 2 Canberra United

For the second week in a row Canberra United overcame a slow start to record victory, this time over the Newcastle Jets.

The Jets started the encounter well with their experienced midfield cuasing Canberra issues.  In the 7th minute Arin Gilliland was brought down by Aoife Colvill with Emily van Egmond converting the resulting spot kick – the third penalty Canberra had conceded in two games.

Newcastle turned up the pressure in the half with Van Egmond, Gilliland and Katie Stengel combining time and again.

In the 18th minute Van Egmond found Gilliland with the American forcing a low near post save of the impressive Haley Kopmeyer.

Just before the half time whistle, Cortnee Vine also went close as she rattled the crossbar and then Stengel missed an opportunity as the Jets went in with a slender 1-0 advantage.

Newcastle were punished for their misses early in the second half when Season 9 Golden Boot winner Ash Sykes grabbed her first goal of the season. Grace Maher played in the Canberra co-captain with Sykes pushing the ball past a fast advancing Britt Eckerstrom.

Moved into the midfield, Ellie Carpenter proved lively and combined with Maher.  Maher's effort was palmed away to keep the scores level.

That reprieve was not long as the resultant corner was whipped in by Maher and Toni Pressley headed home her second goal in as many matches.

Newcastle produced a late flurry of chances but, as was the story of their day, they were unable to get past Kopmeyer.

Perth Glory 3 – 1 Melbourne Victory

Perth Glory returned to the winners circle thanks to the now familiar combination of Rachel Hill and Sam Kerr.

In an up and down affair, Melbourne Victory started the match well with a number of corners putting Melissa Maizels under pressure.  Cooney-Cross put in a well weighted cross forcing Maizels to punch out and then catch early on.

With Victory dominating the opening stanza, the visitors pushed for the opening goal and Natasha Dowie was lively but her 19th minute effort sailed over the target.

Perth began to work into the game and in the 24th minute a flurry of shoots ending in Raquel Rodriguez firing over the crossbar.

Cooney-Cross down the other ended forced Maizels into a low save as the two teams traded attacking forays towards the end of the half.

Early in the second half Melbourne Victory stunned the home side as Melina Ayers hung up a cross to the back post with Dowie there to head home for the lead.

The celebrations were barely over before Glory had an equaliser when Hill was played through by Kerr with the in form striker finishing past Dumont.

Glory then moved into the lead when some neat passing saw her move into the penalty area before rounding Dumont for the lead.

Kerr put the icing on the cake late in the game when she headed on a ball before muscling past two defenders to gain finish past the goalkeeper.

Dowie almost had a second late with a strike but Maizels was alert to the danger pushing the effort over the bar.