While it wasn't the 40+ degree weather Melbourne or Adelaide were experiencing, having a football game at 4:20pm in Brisbane in January isn't always pleasant. 

Coach Irv in Cool Runnings explains it well: "It's not so much the heat, it's the humidity that'll kill you."

A WTB was done prior to the match, it did look ominous but the game was to go ahead with a drinks break during each half. Thankfully, the sun soon cleared the pitch at Suncorp Stadium, except for on Sham Khamis, whose goal still had the sunny spot. 

However, when the sun goes down, the humidity rises.

Slightly distracted by the women's doubles final at the Australian Open, it was a relatively Orange sided affair in the opening minutes as the Roar peppered the Canberra defence. 

The away side weren't without their chances but Roar's pressure eventually paid off as a touch off Refiloe Jane put the ball in the path of Hayley Raso.

By the half-hour mark, it was clear who had the advantage as Roar set up for their fifth corner of the match. 

It was a must-win match for Canberra if they wanted to keep their slim finals hopes alive but Roar stuck the knife in when ex-Canberra midfielder Celeste Boureille hit a sweet one.

Canberra would've been happy to see halftime with changes needed, while it was quite simple at the other end..they needed to be more Gandalf and say 'You shall not pass.' 

The side in Green, with a touch of grey, made changes to try to sort out their attack, bringing on midfielder Laura Hughes and forward Ash Sykes. 

It did kick start their attack and after a slight hiccup with Rhonda Mulaudzi being booked for simulation, they were on the scoreboard. A corner found the head of Nikki Flannery in the box which deflected into the goal.

Game on. 

Canberra drew confidence from the goal and did have a good period of play in the Roar's half. However, Roar weren't about to let their long-time rivals back into the match, especially at home. 

It was a world-class goal from a World Cup winner in Yuki Nagasato as a collective 'Wow' came from those in the media box. 

Minutes later, Canberra's finals hopes were dashed when a ball from Chioma Ubogagu for Allira Toby was placed past Khamis.

The remainder of the half saw the two sides continue to battle it out but nothing came of it, with Canberra's final passing game lacking and Roar able to hold them out. 

Brisbane heads to the top of the table for now but will drop from pole position with Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC still to play on Sunday.