Perth Glory continued their unbeaten start to the season defeating the Newcastle Jets 2-1 at Magic Park on Saturday afternoon.

With neither side able to take their chances in general play, set pieces were the order of the day with both Newcastle and Perth troubling each other from corners.

A well taken free kick from Marianna Tabain in the 34th minute opened the scoring before Alanna Kennedy took advantage of a Collette McCallum corner to double the visitor’s advantage right on half time.

The Jets got back into the contest in the 62nd minute through Tara Andrews after a Newcastle corner wasn’t effectively dealt with by the Perth defence, but it wasn’t enough as the Glory held on for a 2-1 win.

Once again co-captain Emily van Egmond lead from the front for the Newcastle Jets. The midfielder created two early chances for Andrews and had a header that just flew wide herself, as the Jets controlled majority of possession in the opening 10 minutes.

With the Glory finally found the tempo of the match, Van Egmond and Angela Salem enjoyed an evenly balanced midfield tussle with McCallum and Caitlin Foord with the difference the being the quality in the final third.

"First game away from home this season and we thought we maybe let them in in the first 20 minutes," said Glory's Sam Kerr.

"We clawed our way back, we got one [a goal] which then helped and then it was good to keep with it and score the second one."

Sam Kerr was at her electrifying best and always looked threatening when on the ball. The forward produced several bursts that troubled the Jets including breakaway from halfway in the 2nd half, beating three defenders before winning a corner.

Perth Glory used their wings to great effect as full back Sarah Carroll and midfielders Tabain, Kerr and Foord time and again supplied the central Kate Gill.

Newcastle on the other hand managed to overload the centre of the park and, but for the finishing, could have easily found a late equaliser.

"I think we were unlucky today," said Jets co-captain Tara Andrews.

"We didn't play as well as we did last week so it was a bit disappointing. But in the second half we came out fighting so it's a credit to the girls that we came out that way."

Defensively both sides struggled to deal with each other’s set pieces, with two out of the three goals coming from corners that were not properly dealt with.

A point both coaches will no doubt look to rectify before their respective matches next weekend.

Next weekend the Jets travel to Brisbane to take on a winless Roar whilst the Glory are at home to Adelaide United who are also in search of their first win after two narrow losses.