During this season's big games, the Newcastle Jets have been able to come up with a last-gasp goal to save the day. One would be foolish to write them off, having scored 20 percent of their goals after the 75 minute mark.

Unlike the previous week against Sydney FC, there would be no stoppage time equaliser on Friday night.

All the usual fighting qualities at the end of a match were visible but their luck had run out as last-placed Adelaide took the 2-1 win.

What went wrong for Newcastle?

The answer: just about everything.

The Jets looked a shadow of their usual selves and were sluggish both on and off the ball.

Their pressing game was non-existent. It was like they were treading lightly and felt that it would be an easy three points.

This feeling was reflected post-match by coach Craig Deans who told the Newcastle Herald that despite their late flurry of chances, they largely got what they deserved.

“We didn’t deserve to win. Adelaide were better on the day and wanted to win more. The difference in the two teams tonight was attitude. Ours wasn’t up to scratch today.”

The Jets started the game brightly, dominating the early stages, but were unable to convert.

“It was the same as last week. We had five or six shots in the first 15 minutes and the first time Sydney went forward they scored. The same today, we gave away a silly free kick,” Deans said.

“They scored a good goal from it, and from that point on the performance was not good enough.”

What were the key moments for Adelaide?

As ABC Grandstand commentator Phil Dando would say, “Nothing happens unless you make it happen” and Adelaide United did exactly that.

They took their chances and made it count.

A stunning free kick from NAB's Player of the Match Danielle Colaprico and a header off a corner from Katie Naughton were the only shots on target from the Reds.

Adelaide’s performance was good all round and showed that, despite their youthfulness, they are defiantly better than their previous 6-1 defeat in Canberra would suggest.

They defended stoutly, getting six or seven players in behind the ball to block the Jets out.

Their grittiness was best summed up by Naughton’s double clearance off the goal line to deny Cass Davis from point-blank range.

Praise must also go to goalkeeper Sarah Willacy who did a wonderful job to bounce back from the defeat last week. She did well to weather the onslaught of Jets attack early on, only to be beaten by an unlucky deflection.

Up next

The Jets have a bye next weekend before their final two fixtures, which could make or break their finals ambitions. They'll face Canberra United away at McKellar Park on Sunday 28th January. Kick off 4.30pm.

Adelaide also have a bye before facing the top of the table Brisbane Roar at Marden Sports Complex, Sunday 28th January. Kick off 6pm; broadcast on FOX Sports and SBS Viceland.