Canberra celebrate the first of four goals | (Credit: Nick Guoth, Back-of-the-Net) Canberra celebrate the first of four goals | (Credit: Nick Guoth, Back-of-the-Net)

Canberra United continued to be the only unbeaten team in the Westfield W-League when they defeated Adelaide United 4-0 in a rain-shortened match at Deakin Football Stadium.

It was a game of two halves, weather wise, and in the 68th minute, following a huge downpour and a ten minute break, referee Kiralee Gardener made the decision to abandon the game.

According to FFA rules, as long as a game has kicked off for the second half, any abandonment leads to a final score and thus Canberra, leading by 4-0 at that stage, were awarded the victory.

The game was one of two halves, with the odd umbrella up to keep out the strong sun. The opening half was played in beautiful sunshine and hardly a breeze. Towards the end of the first half, the clouds were looking ominous and by early in the second period the storm struck with howling wind and torrential rain, reminiscent of a tropical storm.

Yet, all of the goals came about in just over fifteen minutes near the beginning of the game. Such was the way the Adelaide team were being pushed around that following the fourth score, the Lady Reds huddled together to have a team talk. That worked as for the next 47 minutes, they held their ground.

Canberra commenced the match as if their season depended on it and following a number of forays that went unrewarded, the gates were opened. A ball into Caitlan Munoz found her with two defenders to beat. The first, Adelaide captain Stacey Day, slipped and while prone she could only watch the Matilda’s forward slide past Vedrana Popovic and slip the ball around Kristi Harvey to open the score.

That was the sixth minute and three more, the score was doubled. Ex-Mariners forward and last year’s top scorer Michelle Heyman lept to challenge a cross from her compatriot Eliyse Perry. Heyman got the better of Day and then with only Harvey to beat, rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the empty net.

Just past the quarter hour mark, Heyman was on the scorecard again. This time it was a cross from the left by Munoz that Heyman lept higher than her marker, Ruth Wallace, looping her header over the stranded keeper.

Five minutes on and the scoring was completed. A corner from the right was defended well except that the ball fell off to the left to Munoz. Her return cross was met sweetly by the diving header of Ellie Brush.

Canberra continued to attack, but so did Adelaide, the team get together well worthwhile. Although limited to shots from distance, Racheal Quigley had an attempt that Lydia Williams was certainly concerned about, although the shot went just over.

In the second period both teams struggled with the conditions. Substitute Shu O Tseng nearly scored with her first touch, but the ball would not sit in the right position and with only Harvey to beat, she sent her attempt well wide.

At the other end Williams was called into action saving a sharp shot from Quigley at the near post. There was little action from then on, the only notable incident being with young Grace Field, who was about to make her W-League debut but could not enter the field. In her eagerness to join her team-mates, the youngster had forgotten her shin-pads.

Unfortunately, the debut would last for only two minutes as following an injury to one of the Adelaide players, Gardener ordered the players off the field as the rain was continuing and large patches of surface water were appearing. With no respite, eventually the officials made what appeared to be the correct decision and called the game at the 68th minute.

The result keeps the momentum up for Canberra United, moving them up to third place while at the same time putting Adelaide further in trouble, now without a win for 22 games.

Canberra United 4 (Caitlin MUNOZ 5’, Michelle HEYMAN 9’/16’, Ellie BRUSH 21’)

Adelaide United 0

Saturday, 4 December 2010

Deakin Football Stadium, Canberra

Referee: Kirralee Gardener

Assistant referees: Luke Withell and Greg Taylor

Fourth official: Gary Vandeburgt

Canberra United: 1. Lydia WILLIAMS (gk), 2. Caitlin COOPER, 3. Lyndsay GLOHE, 4. Michelle HEYMAN, 5. Kahlia HOGG, 6. Caitlin MUNOZ (8. Tseng SHU-O 59’), 7. Ellie BRUSH, 9. Grace GILL, 10. Emily Van EGMOND (18. Grace FIELD 65’), 15. Sally SHIPARD (19. Jennifer BISSET 52’), 16. Ellyse PERRY

Substitutes not used: 20. Jocelyn MARA (gk)

Yellow cards: Kahlia HOGG 63’

Red cards: Nil

Adelaide United: 2.Ashleigh GUNNING, 3.Renee HARRISON (17.Angela FIMMANO 46’), 4.Ruth BLACKBURN, 5.Stacey DAY (c), 7.Racheal QUIGLEY, 8.Katrina GORRY, 9.Ruth WALLACE, 10.Victoria BALOMENOS, 11.Vedrana POPOVIC, 14.Donna COCKAYNE (12.Selin KURALAY 62’), 20.Kristi HARVEY (gk)

Substitutes not used: 15.Katherine EBBS, 30.Hayley TRUSKEWYCZ (gk)

Yellow cards: Katrina GORRY 50’

Red cards: Nil