Perth coach Alex Epakis has described some of the refereeing decisions as comical and borderline unfair after winless Canberra United scored two late goals to force a 3-3 A-League Women home draw and deny finals-chasing Glory two precious points.

Canberra United versus Perth Glory

  • A-League Women's match ended with a 3-3 draw at Viking Park.
  • Two late United goals allowed Canberra to get the point.
  • Perth Glory coach Alex Epakis expressed his displeasure with the referee's decisions.

More A-League Women's news can be found on The Women's Game.

United opened the scoring at Viking Park on Saturday, but Perth equalised just before halftime and scored twice after the break to take a 3-1 lead.

Canberra pulled a goal back in the 79th minute when American Chelsee Washington rose above two Perth defenders at the far post and powered a header into the net for her first A-League Women's goal.

The hosts pulled level five minutes later when another A-League Women maiden goalscorer, Lauren Keir, tapped in from close range after Allyson Haran headed the ball goalwards.

"I'm so happy with the girls and the fightback we put in towards the end," Keir said on Paramount Plus.

Both teams had chances to win, with 17-year-old Canberra substitute goalkeeper Chloe Lincoln whipping the ball off the boot off Aideen Keane just before the end.

Canberra picked up their fourth point of the campaign, but their club-record winless streak stretching back to last season increased to ten.

Glory were left still looking for their first win in Canberra, who had won ten and drawn three of their 13 previous encounters.

They stay fifth and level on points with Melbourne Victory, who are above them on goal difference and have two games in hand.

The pitchside microphone picked up Epakis's displeasure with some of referee Isabella Blaess's decisions, including a contentious early penalty to Canberra.

"I think they were comical," Epakis said.

"I think the decisions were borderline unfair, I'm not saying they were, but they were borderline.

"I think some off the decisions really assisted the other team getting back into the game.

"We didn't lose because of the ref, but we didn't win because of the referee and ultimately there needs to be some level of accountability or some type of investigation to ensure the quality is maintained with the referees."

Canberra's Grace Maher opened the scoring with a sixth-minute penalty after Perth captain Natasha Rigby was deemed to have fouled Allira Toby inside the box.

The game tilted towards Perth late in the first half after Canberra goalkeeper Keeley Richards hurt her left knee.

Almost immediately after getting treatment, she was beaten by a strong Cyera Hintzen shot.

Richards made two more saves but wasn't replaced until the 73rd minute.

United had the first five scoring opportunities of the second half but were punished for poor shooting, as Perth found the net in the 64th and 70th minutes.

Canberra failed to clear a corner and Liz Anton steered home after a goalmouth scramble.

American Hintzen capitalised on poor defending to score her second and was substituted within three minutes, with Epakis saying it was a loading decision after coming back from a recent injury.


A-League Women's Phoenix side facing goalkeeper crisis

The prospect of losing Lily Alfeld to a New Zealand call-up could force Wellington to name an outfield player as their backup goalkeeper in the A-League Women.


Victory edge Nix to resume A-League Women finals hunt

Alana Murphy and Tiffany Eliadis scored debut A-League Women's goals in Melbourne Victory's 2-0 win over Wellington Phoenix on Friday night.

The full A-League Women's schedule can be found using this link.