Adelaide United were unable to pull off a surprise result against Canberra United for the season succession with the visitors claiming a 1-0 win.

Adelaide Shores Football Centre came alive at 2:30 pm on a bright Sunday afternoon with Canberra kicking off what was to be a closely fought match.

The tussle was evident in the first 15 mins as both sides battled for control of the ball only to be denied by well-structured and drilled defences.

Numerous efforts fired as both goalkeepers were kept busy in the first half with Chantel Jones forced to come out and prevent running Kristy Moore charging through the box and Melissa Barbieri, in turn, stopping Michelle Heyman minutes later at the other end.

Good all day, midfielder Lisa-Marie Woods had the first real shot on goal with the Norwegian hitting the post with a volley from outside 18 yards.

39 minutes into the first half Heyman was deemed to have been taken down in the box and awarded a penalty.

Caitlin Munoz stepped up to the spot but she was unable to convert as her penalty hit the post to the relief of the home supporters.

Going into the change rooms at half time both teams tried to wrestle the advantage but neither were able to do so with the scores still even at 0-0.

Canberra came out firing after the break with Munoz, Heyman and Stephanie Ochs testing Adelaide’s defence time and again. However, the young back four of Isabel Hodgson, Jenna McCormick, Lauren Steer and Jessie Whareporui held their ground under the guidance of the ever vocal Barbieri. If this combination can remain stable for the season, Aloisi has a solid platform for seasons to come.

After absorbing the pressure, Adelaide hit back again from the hour mark with another strike from the ever present Woods forcing Jones into yet another save.

Just after the hour mark of the match Ochs broke the deadlock.

The running power of Heyman out-smarted the Reds defence before cutting the ball cleanly to her team mate with the American slotting the ball along the ground under a diving Barbieri.

Ross Aloisi tried changing it up by bringing fresh players on the 63rd minute and changing formation slightly.

Rachel Alonso came on and moved the wing and Kristy Moore played a more defensive role, the pace of Dylan Holmes replaced Katie Holtham in the middle of the park while Alex Chidiac making her debut replacing goal sneak Emily Condon up forward.

While it didn't have the desired result, the home side showed enough glimpses that once again bodes well for the future.

With the depth that Canberra has in their squad and years they have been playing together it was expected that they would run over the young Reds who have changed their squad again and have a very young side.

In truth the young players, under the guidance of Ross Aloisi, have slotted into this team well and have taken ownership of their responsibilities on the park.

In years to come if they keep this squad together they will be a strong out fit and will play finals football.

For Canberra, the win was a welcome considering how this corresponding result went last season. The defensive unit was solid, the midfield did their job without being spectacular and the forwards eventually found their way through.

Despite that, there is still plenty of improvement left in the ladder leaders with Canberra’s next match will be against Melbourne Victory in their first home match for the season. This game will also be televised on the Sunday at 3pm on ABC 1.

Meanwhile for Adelaide they have another big match as they travel to Perth on Saturday to play against an in form Perth Glory.