While Roar secured a win to put them into third on the ladder, there will be questions surrounding player safety at the game with Carson Pickett copping an injury late into the rain-soaked match.

There was also late drama with Katrina Gorry receiving marching orders well past stoppage time.

It was a quiet start to the first half, with both sides sporting chances but nothing dangerous for the goalkeeper to save.

However, the game came to life when Roar forward Allira Toby spotted Victory goalkeeper Casey Dumont off her line, her shot from 25 yards out put Brisbane in the lead.

Victory tried to reply immediately with a freekick but it flung just over the bar - a foul from Clare Polkinghorne right on the edge of the box seeing Emily Gielnik and Christine Nairn standing over the dead ball - but it was the later who blasted it home.

Moments later, a free-kick almost saw Victory go ahead after the initial shot was fumbled by Mackenzie Arnold, but Natasha Dowie's first touch was too heavy and sent it over the bar. 

Roar found their feet again after dominating football from Victory and tried to pressure the Melbourne defence but their best chance at going ahead came just minutes later. 

Polkinghorne went on a run but was fouled right in front of the referee with Pickett taking a free-kick that almost curled into the top corner.

After a few more attempts at goal, players chopping each other down, and some questionable refeereeing decisions the first half came to a close.

In the second half, it didn't take long for someone to find the back of the net. 

Victory failed to deal with the run of Chioma Ubogagu on the left side and her cross in front of the net was fumbled in by Dumont for the first own goal.

It was a bittersweet moment for Roar with Ubogagu going down just 10 minutes later clutching her leg. Initially, the English international played on after a challenge from Danielle Weatherholt. 

Things didn't get much better for Victory with Dowie scoring a header moments later - just not at the end she wanted to. 

The disadvantage was then compounded by a downpour and slight wind. Throughout, the Roar continued to dominate with the ball. 

Victory had their chances, and with the wet pitch, the ball was able to glide across the ground, which did help them going forward. Their persistence did pay off too with Gielnik's shot bouncing off the post and at the feet of Dowie to pull the score back to 3-2 with just eight minutes plus stoppage to play. 

The torrential weather only got worse but not even a leaking stadium roof could dampen the game with Yuki Nagasato showing her world class skills that words simply cannot describe. 

Victory responded almost immediately with Gielnik scoring against her former team, but it was too late and those two own goals saw Victory receive their first loss of the season.