Sydney had dominated the two matches between the sides this season scoring eight goals to Roar's two. 

It looked like it might play out the same way again. 

Brisbane Roar was down to 10 early on when Allira Toby clashed heads with Alanna Kennedy and had to receive treatment off the pitch to stop the bleeding. 

She soon returned to the field sporting a bandage on her forehead. 

The first half progressed rather slowly, with both sides struggling to create clear cut chances until young Princess Ibini found herself on the end of a Caitlin Foord cross forcing Mackenzie Arnold to push it out. 

This lit a fire in Sydney as they continued to pressure the Roar defence to give them the advantage. 

Foord opened the scoring in the 33rd minute after Danielle Colaprico fainted a shoot, and instead played in the Matildas forward.

Roar were having their chances but none came better in the first half then when Hayley Raso won a free-kick after Ally Green conceded a foul. Carson Pickett took the free-kick and almost found the head of Toby but just missed it. 

Sydney then buckled down in their defence, it was proving difficult for Roar to overcome but at the same time this stronghold defending allowed the Sky Blue forwards to run riot toward the goal. 

The game was going Sydney's way but after a goalmouth scramble saw Arnold make a save to deny Foord's overhead shot, Roar kicked into a swift counter-attack. 

Roar captain Clare Polkinghorne put Yuki Nagasato on for a one-on-one against Aubrey Bledsoe but it was the American who denied the home side a chance to equalise. 

It was a missed opportunity as not long after Roar failed to clear the ball from their lines, allowing Kennedy to cut the ball back into Sofia Huerta for Sydney to extend their lead. 

Roar tried to build attacks but the defending from Green, Huerta, Kennedy and Elizabeth Ralston was sublime. Special mention to Bledsoe as well.

Roar fans at Dolphin Stadium were probably hoping for a 2011 A-League grand final moment but as the clock wound down, it didn't look possible especially when they went down to 10.

Nat Tathem wasn't discreet when she dragged back Ibini from a goal scoring opportunity and was shown a straight red for her efforts. 

The team in Orange weren't going to give up though, determined to not have a repeat of last season semi-final against Melbourne City. 

However, luck and time didn't appear to be on their side.

Late in the game, Raso was bearing down on goal when Huerta pushed her to the ground but the referee played on and it saw a Sydney counter-attack but it didn't eventuate. 

The Sky Blues escaped a late come back when Nagasato pulled a rocket out of her back pocket for some late Dub drama.

Sydney will now host the grand final against Perth Glory on Sunday February 17 with the venue yet to be decided.