Adelaide United ended their A-League Women's campaign with a disappointing 3-1 home loss to bottom side Wellington Phoenix at Service FM Stadium on Tuesday night.

The result leaves the Reds in eighth spot on 18 points, but United could finish the season in ninth if Brisbane Roar win or draw against Perth Glory on Saturday in their final match.

Wellington are also in action on Saturday in their last game of the season when they take on Melbourne Victory at Sky Stadium.

Phoenix coach Natalie Lawrence was thrilled with her side's performance, particularly the response after conceding an equaliser soon after opening the scoring.

"I felt like we were quite under control," she said.

"We score and straight away they score. In the past that could've spiralled us, but we just went back to our basics, our principles and kept going knowing another goal would come."

Phoenix broke the deadlock on 20 minutes after a whipped corner from the right by Charlotte Lancaster.

Chloe Knott rose highest inside a crowded penalty area and nodded the ball home from close range.

Wellington's lead lasted two minutes, with the Reds equalising after a well-worked passage.

Emilia Murray drilled in a cross from the right, which was met at the back post by Fiona Worts, who headed past keeper Georgia Candy.

On 39 minutes Emily Clegg chased down a loose ball but was beaten to it by the onrushing Reds keeper Annalee Grove, whose clearance slammed straight into the legs of the striker and out over the by-line.

United had a chance on the stroke of half-time when MelindaJ Barbieri let fly from outside the area, but she fired straight at Candy.

Barbieri tested the Wellington shot-stopper again on the hour, delivering an in-swinging free kick from the left, which Candy had to punch away.

The Phoenix went close almost immediately after, with fullback Michaela Foster narrowly missing the post with a low drive from distance.

The visitors eventually grabbed their second on 74 minutes. Emma Main supplied a delightful through pass that split the Adelaide defence, leaving Clegg to round Grove, who raced off her line, allowing Clegg to roll the ball into the empty net.

United almost equalised within minutes for a second time when Maruschka Waldus hit the post after getting on the end of a free kick.

Clegg iced the win with her second deep into injury time, shooting on the turn and finding the net courtesy of a deflection that looped over Grove.

Reds coach Adrian Stenta said back-to-back losses was a disappointing way to end the season.

"We really set ourselves to try and win the last couple of games and had some disappointing results, on Saturday and tonight as well," he said.