Despite only getting off the court at 1am this morning from her semi-final, Kvitová came from behind to claim and left everything out there in a 1-6 7-5 7-6(3) victory. 

Heading into her second consecutive Sydney International final, the weight of Australia was on the 22-year-old. 

It didn't take long for the Aussie to make her mark breaking the Czech in just the second game before going up a double break soon after. 

The world no.8 was struggling in the heat but she was also compounded by clinic performance from Barty.

However, the second set was a much different story with Kvitova returning to the court ready raring to go. 

Neither player could break the other and with the Czech hitter lifting her game from the first, nothing much separated them either.

It took until the 11th game to see a break but unfortunately for the Sydney crowd, it went against Barty as Kvitova won her third straight game and served for the set to force a third.

The top-ranked Aussie blew a 3-0 lead in the third, inviting the two-time Wimbledon champion back into the set and she was able to level it. 

Barty was broken with the trophy in Kvitová's reach but in a twist of fate, neither player was able to win their serve in the final four games of the was off to a third set tie-break.  

However, Kvitová left everything she had out on the court, she was hurting as she played for the Championship point. 

Barty lifted the runners-up trophy for the second consecutive year but admits her opponent just came up better.

"Of course it's tough to take, it's hard to put into words at the moment," Barty said.

"It's been a hell of a week, I couldn't have left anymore on the court, and Petra came up with the goods when she needed to today.

" She had the courage and she was brave in that (indiscernible) in particular to take the game on, and she deserved to win today."

The Australian now faces Luksika Kumkhum of Thailand in the first round of the Australian Open while Kvitová takes on Slovakian Magdaléna Rybáriková.