The W-League finals race will go down to the wire after Michelle Heyman kept Canberra United's season alive - and broke the W-League goal-scoring record in the process.

Leaders Sydney FC have already qualified for the top four while Brisbane Roar's massive goal difference has effectively secured their spot.

Adelaide United (19 points, one game remaining), Canberra (18 points, two games left) and Melbourne Victory (17 points, three games left) are chasing the two remaining spots.

Off the back of upsetting the Roar the previous round - a game where Heyman drew level with Sam Kerr on 70 competition goals - Canberra hosted Perth, who were technically the home team.

Heyman put Nikki Flannery through for the opener in the 36th minute, before Caitlin Doeglas responded five minutes later.

In the 54th minute, Heyman got on the break, had her attempt to round Perth goalkeeper Lily Alfeld blocked but recovered to wheel onto her right foot and curl a long-range strike into the top corner - breaking Kerr's record in the process.

Katarina Jukic equalised with a long-range strike in the 71st minute, then there was late drama as United skipper Kendall Fletcher missed two penalties in quick succession, while Perth's Sarah Carroll was sent off for a second yellow card.

Then Heyman snared all three points - and her 72nd W-League goal - with the last kick of Friday's game.

Later that night, Matildas winger Emily Gielnik scored a 19-minute hat-trick as Brisbane flexed their muscle in a 4-2 win over Adelaide.

Brazilian forward Mariel Hecher opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, before Adelaide's Chelsie Dawber equalised in the 35th.

But from there, the Reds simply couldn't contain Gielnik, who scored in the 62nd, 72nd and 80th minutes before Dawber scored a consolation goal in the 87th.

Melbourne Victory will round out the weekend's action when they play Perth away on Tuesday.

On Sunday, Melbourne City - whose title defence is already over - earned their second win of the season, beating Newcastle 1-0 at Kingston Heath.

Former Japan international Chinatsu Kira scored the game's only goal with a close-range finish in the 42nd minute.

Sydney FC had a bye and will have to wait until next week to attempt to seal the premiership plate.