S10: Round 8 Wrap

At the conclusion of Round 8 the W-League has a new ladder leader and the Top 4 has undergone another reshuffle.

Sydney FC 3 – 0 Canberra United

Sydney FC continued their climb up the W-League ladder with a comfortable 3-0 win over Canberra United to see them move into the Top 4 for the first time this season.

It was a scrappy start but the Sky Blues worked their way on top with Princess Ibini and Lisa De Vanna causing the Canberra defence issues on the wings.

Canberra looked to play on the counter attack and Ellie Carpenter’s strong run in the 20th minute ended in an effort on goal saved by Sham Khamis.

Sydney kept the pressure on in the front half with Amy Harrison the catalyst in attack.  The half hour saw the break through when Ibini found space and put in an inviting ball across the face off goal. A fast advancing De Vanna completed the sweeping move at the back post.

Just before half time De Vanna doubled the lead with a lovely solo goal.  The striker outpaced full back Elise Thorsnes before cutting inside and curling home a long range effort past a flying Kopmeyer.

The second half didn’t start much better for the visitors with De Vanna again the instigator with her cross headed home by Toni Pressley past her goalkeeper.

To Canberra’s credit, they stayed in the match and kept working for chances but Sydney FC’s defence preserved another clean sheet.

Adelaide United 1 – 2 Western Sydney Wanderers

The Western Sydney Wanderers have kept their finals hopes alive with a 2-1 win against Adelaide United on the road.

Adelaide started the match well with Makenzy Doniak only inches from the opener just three minutes in with her effort flying just over the cross bar.

It didn’t take long for the Wanderers to find their feet and captain Ellie Brush forced a reflex save from Sarah Willacy in the 13th minute.

Willacy and Brush tangled again less than 10 minutes later with Willacy again coming out on top as the defender’s header was well claimed.

S10: Round 12 Preview

The reprieve was short for the Reds as a minute later Dutch import Marlous Pieete gave the Wanderers the lead thanks to a low strike past Willacy in the bottom right corner.

10 minutes later the home side were level through Doniak.  This time the American got her radar on target producing another spectacular top corner finish for the equaliser.

The second half saw Adelaide come out with purpose and went close to taking the lead in the 50th minute.  Despite tapping home, Mautz was called back for offside to the disappointment of the home crowd.

Three minutes later the Reds went close again as Alex Chidiac’s effort from outside the box was denied by the upright.

After hanging on, the Wanderers found a reward in the 72nd minute when Lee Falkon latched onto Olivia Price’s through ball to turn the ball home past Willacy.

Newcastle Jets 3 – 3 Perth Glory 

The top of the table clash between the Newcastle Jets and Perth Glory lived up to its billing late with five goals in the final 20 minutes of the game.

Looking to continue their winning run, the Jets started the match the better and in the 14th minute almost had a deserved lead.  Captain Emily van Egmond found winger Jenna Kingsley only for her effort to crash into woodwork.

15 minutes later Van Egmond was involved again but this time it resulted in a goal when Arin Gilliland rounded Melissa Maizels to finish calmly.

The Jets went into the break leading 1-0 and that scoreline would remain until the match exploded in the final 20 minutes of the second half.

It started when Sam Kerr finally broke free of some tight marking to slot home an equaliser.Minutes later the Glory had the lead when Kerr curled home from inside the box.

Behind for the first time in the match, Newcastle rallied with Katie Stengel taking advantage of some penalty confusion for her 5th goal of the season.

Kerr again pulled her side ahead with completing her hattrick with a lashing finish inside the box.

MATCH ANALYSIS: Melbourne City Surprise Perth Glory with a 3-0 win

It looked to be the winner but Newcastle again found a way through when Van Egmond put in a perfect cross with Sarah Carroll bundling the ball into her own net.

Brisbane Roar 2 – 0 Melbourne City

Brisbane Roar bounced back from last week’s loss to move to the top of the W-League with a 2-0 over Melbourne City.

A dominant second half from the home side set up their first ever win over the two time defending W-League champions.

The first half was an even contest with Melbourne City starting the better.  Kyah Simon had a number of chances in the early minutes including a header that she looped wide of Mackenzie Arnold’s goal following a Rebekah Stott cross.

Then the Matildas striker fired an effort into the side netting after being played through by Jess Fishlock. City were made to rue the missed chances as Brisbane Roar through Katrina Gorry and Celeste Boureille worked their way into the match late in the half.

That momentum followed in the second half with Roar coming out switched on.  The 58th minute saw Tameka Butt’s cross find Cheung but she headed over Lydia Williams’ crossbar.

Not long after Roar had the lead through substitute Allira Toby.  The move was started thanks to a well timed tackle from Clare Polkinghorne – who was a defensive rock throughout the 90 minutes – with the captain spotting the run of Toby.  The perfectly weighted ball was met by an equally well executed lob with Toby putting Brisbane ahead.

Nine minutes later Katrina Gorry doubled the lead when her curling free kick evaded all comers including Williams at the far post.

Mel Andreatta’s side looked to press the advantage further with waves of attack through Hayley Raso, Toby, Gorry and Butt.

Lauren Barnes came close to halving the deficit from a free kick but was denied by a finger tip save from Arnold.

On the final whistle Boureille also looked to score from distance and her effort was also well saved from Williams but it was enough for three big points for Brisbane.



Australia's no.1 source for women's football