The 10th season of the W-League will commence with a clash between traditional rivals Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar as the 2017/18 W-League fixtures were released.
The 14 round regular season will commence on 28 October 2017 concluding with the Grand Final on 18 February 2017.Download
For the third season Fox Sports will be principal broadcaster with Fox Sports increasing their commitment of broadcast matches to 27 games. Three of the four opening round matches broadcast on FOX SPORTS including a Grand Final rematch between Perth Glory and Melbourne City at nib Stadium.
“The competition has come a long way since the inaugural season which began in 2008,” said Head of the W-League Greg O’Rourke.
“During the off-season, we have worked very closely with the clubs, venues and FOX SPORTS to produce what I believe is the best Westfield W-League draw to date.”
“The biggest enhancement is the twenty-seven (27) Westfield W-League matches which will be seen on FOX SPORTS. I would to take this opportunity to thank Patrick Delany as his team at FOX SPORTS for increasing their commitment to broadcasting Women’s Football and we look forward to watching more hours of the Westfield W-League season than ever before,” concluded O’Rourke.
The number of double headers has also increased in Season 10 marked by the Sydney Derby double header.
“There are twenty-five (25) Westfield W-League/Hyundai A-League double headers through-out the season which gives fans the opportunity to see more football.”
Key features of the Westfield W-League 2017/18 Season draw
- Westfield W-League 2017/18 Season will be played over 14 Rounds (54 matches) followed by the Westfield W-League 2018 Finals Series (3 matches)
- Twenty (25) Westfield W-League/Hyundai A-League Double-Header matches (which includes 3 matches scheduled after Hyundai A-League matches)
- Majority of matches scheduled to avoid clashes with Hyundai A-League fixtures (i.e. avoiding market clashes or when the club’s Hyundai A-League team has been scheduled to play)
- Improved kick-off times during peak summer months with majority of matches across the entirety of the Season Draw scheduled to kick-off no earlier than 4pm (local)
- Twenty-seven (27) matches to be seen on FOX SPORTS (including all three Westfield W-League 2018 Finals Series matches) up from 17 (2016/17 season)
- Three (3) broadcast fixtures in Round 1 – including Grand Final re-match between Perth Glory and Melbourne City FC @ nib Stadium on opening match day and Sydney FC v Brisbane Roar FC @ Allianz Stadium
- Majority of Sunday broadcast matches scheduled to kick-off at 4:30 pm (local) during peak summer months, leading in to 7pm kick-offs for Hyundai A-League fixtures (10 of the 12 Sunday broadcast fixtures Westfield W-League / Hyundai A-League Double-Header matches)
- Each club will host at least two home broadcast matches during the Westfield W-League 2017/18 Season
- Alternate market fixtures to expand the reach of the Westfield W-League in selected areas: o Round 6 – Sydney FC v Melbourne Victory @ Cromer Park, Cromer, NSW
- Round 12 – Perth Glory v Canberra United @ Hay Park, Bunbury, WA
- Round 14 – Sydney FC v Western Sydney Wanderers FC @ Seymour Shaw Park, Miranda, NSW
- Westfield W-League 2018 Finals Series scheduled as stand-alone matches which coincides with Hyundai A-League Split Round 20
- The Westfield W-League 2018 Semi Finals will be played on Sunday 11 February with the Westfield W-League 2018 Grand Final scheduled for Sunday 18 February.